Timex Dynabeat - info?
Mike
2005-03-22 21:52:25 UTC
Yeah, I know it's just a cheapioe watch, but I won one on the 'bay
for $5. Maybe it works, maybe it doesn't, and for $5 I don't care
too much one way or the other, but the seller says it needs a new
battery. Anyone know what kind it may take? Any other information
about it?

I bought it because it's different from the zillion mechanical and
quartz watches I already have, and it would be cool if it worked!
Besides, it has that retro look to it!

TIA

Mike
dAz
2005-03-23 00:52:19 UTC
Post by Mike
Yeah, I know it's just a cheapioe watch, but I won one on the 'bay
for $5. Maybe it works, maybe it doesn't, and for $5 I don't care
too much one way or the other, but the seller says it needs a new
battery. Anyone know what kind it may take? Any other information
about it?
Timex model 84, calibre 870/871 uses a type "A" battery ucar303,SR44SW
Timex model 85, Calibre 880/881 same battery, its the same as the model
84 except with calendar added.

the Timex electrics seems to of reasonable quality, certainly better
than the mechanicals they made.
Post by Mike
I bought it because it's different from the zillion mechanical and
quartz watches I already have, and it would be cool if it worked!
Besides, it has that retro look to it!
yeah the old electrics are not bad, I have a Seiko 370 electric, still
thumps along nicely after 32 years
Mike
2005-03-23 01:25:54 UTC
Post by dAz
than the mechanicals they made.
Thank you for the info!

Mike
David Johnson
2005-03-26 04:22:17 UTC
Post by dAz
Yeah, I know it's just a cheapioe watch, but I won one on the 'bay for
$5. Maybe it works, maybe it doesn't, and for $5 I don't care too
much one way or the other, but the seller says it needs a new
battery. Anyone know what kind it may take? Any other information
about it?
Timex model 84, calibre 870/871 uses a type "A" battery ucar303,SR44SW
Timex model 85, Calibre 880/881 same battery, its the same as the model
84 except with calendar added.
I've got a running 1979 electric that's marked for a type A battery, and
a 357 works.
dAz
2005-03-26 07:10:25 UTC
Post by David Johnson
I've got a running 1979 electric that's marked for a type A battery, and
a 357 works.
yeah that's an SR44W, a high drain version of the SR44SW, other than
that, both batteries are the same physical size.

the Seiko 3703B uses a SR44W(357) battery, I would think the current
draw is similar to the Dynabeat

http://www.ranfft.de/cgi-bin/bidfun-db.cgi?10&ranfft&0&uswk&Seiko_3703B

BTW the LR44 is an alkaline battery, an SR44W (Silver Oxide) would be
better because it has more milliamp capacity

SR44W(357) ***@1.55volts Silver oxide High Drain Ag 2 O/Zn
SR44SW(303) ***@1.55Volts Silver oxide low drain Ag 2 O/Zn
LR44 ***@1.5volts Alkaline MnO2/Zn

or the old 313 mercury battery ***@1.35volts (no longer available
because of the mercury ban)

all these batteries are close to the same size 11.60mm dia x 5.40mm high

the Seiko 370 movement draws less than 13microamps (typical Quartz
analogue draws 1/2 of 1microamp), so the differance would be in the run
time of the watch, the Alkaline is not suitable for watches, the SR44W
would give you 1.6years approx run time, the LR44 is about 1.05years.

BTW that quartz would run +43years on the SR44W battery (battery would
leak well before that) :)

other electric/electronic watches
http://www.ranfft.de/cgi-bin/bidfun-db.cgi?10&ranfft&0&uswk&ESA_9154
http://www.ranfft.de/cgi-bin/bidfun-db.cgi?10&ranfft&0&uswk&ESA_9176