Learning... Peseux 7001 vs. Unitas 6498
jim
2006-11-12 19:55:18 UTC
Comparison in quality? Durability? Accuracy? Needed Maintenance?
Lifespan?
How does the Unitas 6497 differe from the 6498?
SWG
2006-11-12 20:26:47 UTC
Post by jim
Comparison in quality? Durability? Accuracy? Needed Maintenance?
Lifespan?
the bigger the size of a movement, it offers more possibilities to
ensure sturdiness / long time precision & reliability. On the other
hand, 7001 Peseux is a wonderful movement, which was used in great
numbers by top notch Swiss Watch Brands before the upsurge of Quartz.
It was quite a mistake by ETA to have abandonned it and let
hand-winding watches use the base of either 2824 (2820) or 2892 (2890).
I have worn watches on 7001 for decades myself, as I like nice neat
rather small dress watches (diameter 30-32).
Post by jim
How does the Unitas 6497 differe from the 6498?
position of the crown, whether for wristwatch & hunting pocket watch:
at three o'clock, or hunting pocket watch (at 12)
Jack Denver
2006-11-12 21:04:15 UTC
In wrist watches (where most Unitas are going nowadays) , the open case (
lépine) 6497 movement gets rotated so the crown is at 3 (vs 12 in a pocket
watch) and the seconds end up at 9:

This is a fake (Panerai).

While in the savonette (hunter/ closed case) version 6498, the sweep ends up
at 6 because the crown remains at 3:

as a pocket watch:

http://www.yatego.com/schmuckcompany/p,444953293435f,43e9f16d0a9120_7,leumas-savonette-taschenuhr-in-echt-silber

as a wristwatch:

As for the original question, #1 difference is size:

Unitas 16.5 lignes, 4.5mm thick

Peseux 10.5 lignes, 2.5 mm thick

In web photos, its hard to spot differences in size but in person they are
like Mutt and Jeff.

Since 16.5 lignes is over 36mm for just the movement , most Unitas based
wristwatches end up at a clown sized (read "fashionable") 42mm and up,
while the Peseux can be housed in an elegant case.
John S.
2006-11-12 22:04:56 UTC
Post by jim
Comparison in quality? Durability? Accuracy? Needed Maintenance?
Lifespan?
How does the Unitas 6497 differe from the 6498?
I think that you will find that they are quite close in basic quality
and that either one will last a very long time with reasonable care.
Maintenance needs are not all that different between watch movements,
including those two.

As Jack noted the Unitas is quite large, having been designed as a
pocketwatch movement. While it presents quite a view through a display
watch back, the size is a significant design limitation. At a minimum
the case will be a diameter of 42mm with the more important lug-to-lug
measurement topping 47mm in many cases. In otherwords you will have a
watch that can be worn by the very few of us with ankle-sized wrists.
For most of us a watch measuring 47mm between the lugs will look as
though it is teetering off the wrist unless it is pushed half way up
the forearm.

Watch sizes like other fashion trends change over time. As with zoot
suits and oversized shoulder pads, the trend to oversized watches will
pass as well.
jim
pass as well.
John S.
2006-11-13 13:43:42 UTC
Sure, they are more or less of comparable quality if you ignore the
rotor with oversized bearings and winding mechanism on the 2892. Most
watch companies take a base movement and upgrade it in one or more
ways, so I don't know how valuable such a comparison really is.

To be honest, I think you will find that watchmakers as a group have
become adept at matching the quality of the movement to the rest of the
case and charging a price that is commensurate with the competition.
Since you will see the movement only rarely, if at all, you should
consider focusing on features you will see or interact with. Features
such as: Kind of complications; style of dial and hands, size, style
and material of the case; bracelet or strap, automatic or handwind;
Etc., etc. Trust me, they are far more important than whether the
watch has a Peseux or Unitas movement. You can assume that the
movement you get with a watch from a maker of known reputation will
tick, keep track of time very well and be long lived.

You will find guys oin this and other forums that will argue for ever
about whether this or that design feature means one movement is better
than the other. For those who want to engage in such endless
discussions, I suppose that is fine. Truth be told the mechanical
watch movement is a mature design for which the last significant
technical breakthrough occured over 50 years ago. Watch movements are
as a group well made, reliable and accurate. Refocus on the watch.
pass as well.
Moka Java
2006-11-13 13:46:48 UTC
Post by John S.
Post by jim
[...]
All things being equal, the larger Unitas should be more accurate due to
the larger balance but all things are rarely equal. I've seen the
Unitas movement in cases as small as 40mm. The large size of the
Unitas makes a striking skeleton watch if you're into such things.

R "have been known to succumb" TF