Heuer & Lambelet watches--an authentic Swiss brand?
Kurt Story
2004-01-16 04:54:35 UTC
Has anyone heard of this brand? On the company website, this is what
they say about themselves:

"First introduced in 1864, Heuer and Lambelet has been known for the
aggressive pursuit of technical innovation and groundbreaking style.
Soon after it's of inception, Heuer and Lambelet became one of the
most influential commercial partnerships in Bienne , Switzerland ,
where the greatest watchmakers and designers of their day worked and
resided, the capital of the timepiece industry."

I never heard of this brand, so I did some research on their website
ownership, and here's what I discovered:

Domain Name: HEUERLAMBELET.COM

Administrative Contact -
John House - ***@myatmarket.com
At Market
1545 Capital Drive Suite 100
Carrollton, TX 75006
US
Phone - 019722424045
Fax -
Technical Contact -
John House - ***@myatmarket.com
At Market
1545 Capital Drive Suite 100
Carrollton, TX 75006
US
Phone - 019722424045

Something smells fishy.

http://www.heuerlambelet.com/htmlfiles/history.asp
omniscient idiot
2004-01-16 20:02:46 UTC
It sure smells fishy. Even the contact person's domain name differs
from the company's domain name? Makes me wonder if this is just a
slightly less dishonest version of M****** A******. Anyway considering
the prices that H**** and L******* charges, I think one cannot go
wrong avoiding this one. Regards, oi
Elbert
2004-01-17 03:11:28 UTC
Post by Kurt Story
Has anyone heard of this brand? On the company website, this is what
"First introduced in 1864, Heuer and Lambelet has been known for the
aggressive pursuit of technical innovation and groundbreaking style.
Soon after it's of inception, Heuer and Lambelet became one of the
most influential commercial partnerships in Bienne , Switzerland ,
where the greatest watchmakers and designers of their day worked and
resided, the capital of the timepiece industry."
Actually, this might not be fake at all. The web site I notice, says
that they are reintroducing the brand. Lambelet is a name you run
across in Switzerrland now and then. Oddly enough, though, the photo
they showed of Bienne/Biel (and didn't refer to it in the fashion
usual in Switzerland) looks like it is Nuechatel.

Jacques Heuer sold his brand to Tag, A Saudi family back in the 80s.
The Tag family put together a hi tech consortium in Europe of which
Tag-Heuer was a part.After Mr. Heuer sold his firm, he continued to
stay active in the watch and electronics industry, I believe.

However, what provisions followed the Heuer name, I don't know. I do
know that the Swiss patent office is pretty strict about trade mark
registrations as is that of both the USA and Mexico where this watch
is also sold. Unless they had some actual right to the name, I think
they could not get away with using it so openly.

I would telephone them and ask. The prices seem good. I would also
ask them what movements they used and if their watches were made in
Switzerland.

Nowhere on their site is there any indication of the actual movementss
used and whether they are quartz or mechanical. Also, there is no
indication at all whether the watches arre made in Switzerland.

Now that smells fishy to me.

Sam Elbert