Battery for Allenby watch
BaGetmail
2006-09-20 02:19:30 UTC
I'm looking for battery replacement for my Allenby watch. I lost the
old one. Does anyone know what kind of battery used in Allenby watch?
Thanks,
Ba
John S.
2006-09-20 13:12:37 UTC
Post by BaGetmail
I'm looking for battery replacement for my Allenby watch. I lost the
old one. Does anyone know what kind of battery used in Allenby watch?
Thanks,
Ba
Nice looking watches with a high quality movement. It's a pleasant
surprise to open the case of a watch that might have sold for $25.00 on
Ebay and see a fully jeweled nicely finished quartz movement. The best
idea I can come up with for the battery number would be to contact some
of the sellers on Ebay. (Hi, nice looking watch. Can you tell me which
battery it uses...)

The one I bought on Ebay 3 years ago has since moved on to another
owner otherwise I would get you the information first hand.
Jack Denver
2006-09-20 15:06:43 UTC
Mine had a 379 (SR521SW).

A lot of the jewels in mine were for the sweep at six - they used a whole
bunch of wheels to bring the seconds down from the center. It's nice that
they jeweled them all but it's really an ass-backwards way of implementing
a small seconds.

Mine ended up going back. The seller sent it to me with the factory battery
which was near dead and ran only a few weeks. When I tried to replace the
battery, a whole bunch of metal shavings fell out of the case, including
one that must have lodged in the movement. I've changed many batteries (not
as many as the pros, but all my family's watches) and I've never killed a
watch before, but the battery changed killed this one. The seller sold them
as being warranted, but when I contacted Swiss Army (the maker of Allenby)
they said no way. The seller was good about it and took it back.

I was glad to be rid of it in the end. In some ways it was a nice watch
(sapphire crystal, high quality ETA movement) but the styling did not grow
on me - it was in a 1920s style but they had simplified it just enough to
lose something from the originals. Also although the watch was marked T for
tritium, the watch was old enough (NOS) that the lume has burned away.
BaGetmail
2006-09-20 16:14:58 UTC
First of all, I would like to thank everyone for responding to my
question.

I remember the number something like SR521SW. I'm not 100% sure about
the battery #. I bought Energizer SR521SW battery from a store and put
it in. The watch is still not working. Now I'm not sure the watch is
dead or wrong battery. I got it from eBay for $15 + shipping. It's
cheap. The watch looks exactly like the first watch on this link:
http://www.timemachinewatch.com/allenby/allenby.htm
Well, maybe I just got a dead watch.
Thanks everyone for your response.

Ba
Jack Denver
2006-09-20 19:23:42 UTC
This was not one of ETA's better efforts. Years ago I had a Tissot with the
same movment and it did the same thing - just stopped dead one day and a
battery change would not revive it.

I suspect that despite the bunch of jewels they used to implement the sweep
at six, there are just too many wheels in there for the stepper to run at
some state of lube. The lesson I think is to avoid a quartz with a sweep at
six , at least that particular ETA movement. Your usual 3 hand ETA has
something like 7 jewels and this one had 15, so there are 8 extra jewels (4
wheels top and bottom) just to drive that little second hand, which is
apparently 4 wheels too many.

As with the Allenby, it wasn't worth finding out what went wrong. As you
say, just chalk it up to experience or send it back if you can. It's a
shame really because the rest of the watch is pretty nice and ETA's are
usually reliable.
Ba
dAz
2006-09-25 01:46:25 UTC
Post by Jack Denver
This was not one of ETA's better efforts. Years ago I had a Tissot with the
same movment and it did the same thing - just stopped dead one day and a
battery change would not revive it.
I suspect that despite the bunch of jewels they used to implement the sweep
at six, there are just too many wheels in there for the stepper to run at
some state of lube. The lesson I think is to avoid a quartz with a sweep at
six , at least that particular ETA movement. Your usual 3 hand ETA has
something like 7 jewels and this one had 15, so there are 8 extra jewels (4
wheels top and bottom) just to drive that little second hand, which is
apparently 4 wheels too many.
I have a tissot with that movement inside, had it for years now, still
works fine, one trick with this sort of movement with all the extra
train wheels (which by the way I agree with you it has too many wheels)
is not to oil those extra wheels, when I service one of those I make
sure the pivots and jewels are spotless to reduce the friction to a minimum.

of course the main problem with this movement that it is even less
tolerant of grit and dust getting in, a bit extra care is needed during
a battery change to make sure doesn't happen.
Frank Adam
2006-09-25 03:18:02 UTC
dAz
2006-09-25 04:50:23 UTC
Post by Frank Adam
It's also rare to see a watch with a 5th wheel which has less teeth
than the minute wheel. Weird bugger of a movement. Don't like them at
all.
IIRC, it also has a small magnet on the underside of the extra plate,
which is no doubt to stabilise the seconds hand on each tick, however,
since it's perhaps more in the open than the rotor itself, it is a
wonderful place for case shards to end up on.
And a great amusement if you forget about it and throw a few other
movements into the same basket. The bonus is, you don't have to chase
screws around in the basket, just lift them all out in the one big
blob. :)
yep, along with the fine metal powder normally suspended in the cleaning
solution if you haven't changed it for more then a week :)
Jack Denver
2006-09-25 17:01:17 UTC
I was very shocked by the metal debris (hairlike shavings of case material)
that fell out of my Allenby - this is the kind of thing you expect in a
Chinese watch but not a Swiss one, even a "moderately priced" one (remember
that these watches orginally retailed for $200+US). Shouldn't those shards
have been cleaned out thorougly before the watch was cased? Or are they
by-products of the steel snap back being pressed into the relatively soft
case (the case was some kind of yellow plated base metal) or what?

What you and Frank say has confirmed my experience - while this movement CAN
be made to work (I had the Tissot for several years before it broke) it's
more bother than it is worth and should be avoided if possible, given that
there are so many better alternatives available (if not with sweep at 6).
Frank Adam
2006-09-25 23:43:33 UTC
On Mon, 25 Sep 2006 13:01:17 -0400, "Jack Denver"
Post by Jack Denver
I was very shocked by the metal debris (hairlike shavings of case material)
that fell out of my Allenby - this is the kind of thing you expect in a
Chinese watch but not a Swiss one, even a "moderately priced" one (remember
that these watches orginally retailed for $200+US). Shouldn't those shards
have been cleaned out thorougly before the watch was cased? Or are they
by-products of the steel snap back being pressed into the relatively soft
case (the case was some kind of yellow plated base metal) or what?
Yep, that is usually what causes it. It's the base metal being sheared
off as the back makes it's way into the case.
It's probably one of the main reasons why the push on backs on Pulsars
and the likes use a plastic gasket. It seals well enough for the 30M
ones and the back doesn't come in contact with the case. 'O' ring
sealed ones will always brush against the case and when it comes to
base metal vs steel, the steel will always win.
The later model Tissots, Omegas, Longines, etc.. with push on backs,
now also tend to have a plastic seal. On the Tiissot it is pink, of
all colours. :)
Another thing learnt from the Japanese it seems, despite the Cosmic
2000s using it since the ice age with excellent results.
Post by Jack Denver
What you and Frank say has confirmed my experience - while this movement CAN
be made to work (I had the Tissot for several years before it broke) it's
more bother than it is worth and should be avoided if possible, given that
there are so many better alternatives available (if not with sweep at 6).
Well, let's just say, the whole series of that module are not my
favorite movements at all.
Regards, Frank
dAz
2006-09-26 00:11:32 UTC
Jack Denver
2006-09-26 01:33:47 UTC
Post by dAz
with your watch it may have been poor quality control, was the case the
sort where the movement fits into the back first then is snapped into the
case?, that kind of case seems hard to clean well.
No, the setup was conventional with the movement mounted to the dial and a
plastic spacer. The case looked like they had started with a solid block of
metal and then machined out a recess for the movement, with the machining
for the recess being a little crude (you could still see the tool marks).
Here is what the back of the watch looked like:

There was a very thin o-ring gasket around the edge of the back.
yep, I am a firm believer in the KISS principal :)
dAz
2006-09-26 03:06:19 UTC
Post by Jack Denver
No, the setup was conventional with the movement mounted to the dial and a
plastic spacer. The case looked like they had started with a solid block of
metal and then machined out a recess for the movement, with the machining
for the recess being a little crude (you could still see the tool marks).
http://www.timemachinewatch.com/allenby/tm9445b.jpg
There was a very thin o-ring gasket around the edge of the back.
ok, it is possible some of the case metal was flaked away when the back
was snapped on, some of those backs can be quite tight, and the fact it
was a plated base metal case didn't help, a solid stainless steel case
would not have the same problem.

John S.
2006-09-20 17:22:26 UTC
At the time the Ebay dealer was selling them for something like $10.00
per watch, so at that price I forgave any minor styling issues. Mine
had a sub seconds dial, a really nice german leather strap and it was
pretty darn well made. In-fact I grabbed several others and gave 'em
for presents. At least three are still in service.

Yeah, they were being peddled as having a warranty, but I figured
close-out prices mean WYSIWYG.
Jack Denver
2006-09-21 16:18:24 UTC
$10 would be an unbeatable value - the sapphire crystal alone or the
watchband alone is worth $10. I think I paid something like $50 for mine
(which is roughly the current going rate on ebay) and I thought it was still
a pretty good deal - it's hard to find a watch with a sapphire crystal for
under $100. At that price, even if the watch was a 50/50 proposition it
would be worth it. I have to say that even though these watches are being
sold as NOS, at this point they are getting a little long in the tooth - I
think Swiss Army discontinued the line somewhere around '98, so these
watches have been sitting on the shelf for 8 years. At the very least, if I
bought another, I'd insist on a fresh battery. Mine ran for no more than a
couple of weeks on the factory battery (and in a way I'm surprised it ran at
all). That way, the seller would have to deal with the consequences if the
battery was already leaking (mine wasn't), debris fell in the movement (this
happened to me), etc.

But overall I'm getting the feeling that this particular ETA movement has an
abnormally high failure rate. You say at least 3 are still in service. Does
this mean that you know of any that failed? I wonder if the watchmakers have
seen a particularly high failure rate on the ETA 980.163? This gets used a
lot in "retro" style watches because of the sweep at 6, so overall it's
probably not that common a movement, but I've seen a lot of failures while
other quartz watches I've had, even the $10 Chinese kind that come "free"
with a bottle of cologne or a pen, just seem to run and run as long as the
battery doesn't leak.
John S.
2006-09-21 18:40:02 UTC
My suspicion is that the ones I gave out as gifts that are not working
are dead because the battery gave out. The individuals have a tendency
to accumulate dead watches of many brands.

I'm not surprised that you got a junker. My guess is that whoever
bought the original lot bought everything, including the returns.

To be honest I was pleasantly surprised at the quality and finish of
that little rectangular watch. The original price was supposedly
$300.00 which was way over it's value. At the Ebay closeout prices it
was quite a deal. But I did get tired of the look, or more correctly
it just never really excited me. I heard about the Allenby watches
originally in a review someone did on TZ.
Jack Denver
2006-09-21 20:07:13 UTC
Post by John S.
I'm not surprised that you got a junker. My guess is that whoever
bought the original lot bought everything, including the returns.
Mine certainly looked factory new, with all appropriate protective stickers,
packaging, etc. If it was a return it sure didn't show.
Post by John S.
To be honest I was pleasantly surprised at the quality and finish of
that little rectangular watch.
I was surprised to see metal filings fall from the inside of the case when I
opened it and the case lacked a sculptural quality - it looked like the
styling had been simplified in order to reduce the number of machining
operations. It may have been a fashion decision, but to me it looked more
like an economic one. Look at this model, for example:

http://www.timemachinewatch.com/allenby/allenbya4.htm

But they certainly used decent quality stuff - sapphire crystal , ETA
movement, decent leather bands. These watches wholesaled for around $90, and
the retail sticker was around $220 - I don't think they ever sold for $300
unless someone was charge more than full retail. Around $150 or so would
have been a fair "street price" by normal Swiss watch standards.

Post by John S.
$300.00 which was way over it's value. At the Ebay closeout prices it
was quite a deal. But I did get tired of the look, or more correctly
it just never really excited me. I heard about the Allenby watches
originally in a review someone did on TZ.
I agree with you that the look got old in a hurry. Again I think it was due
to the simplified styling which was not pleasing to the eye. Not simplified
in a Bauhaus/Zen pure kind of way, but more like a crude, cartoonish way.
John S.
2006-09-21 20:32:04 UTC
Post by John S.
To be honest I was pleasantly surprised at the quality and finish of
that little rectangular watch.
I was surprised to see metal filings fall from the inside of the case when I
opened it and the case lacked a sculptural quality - it looked like the
styling had been simplified in order to reduce the number of machining
operations. It may have been a fashion decision, but to me it looked more
http://www.timemachinewatch.com/allenby/allenbya4.htm
My watch was exactly like this one below. The 1930's styling was ok
for a while, but the watch was flat as a board and the lugs didn't
curve down at all. The german strap was exceptionally well made and
really looked and felt good.

Post by Jack Denver
But they certainly used decent quality stuff - sapphire crystal , ETA
movement, decent leather bands. These watches wholesaled for around $90, and
the retail sticker was around $220 - I don't think they ever sold for $300
unless someone was charge more than full retail. Around $150 or so would
have been a fair "street price" by normal Swiss watch standards.
Yes, I agree that would have been a reasonable price. My guess is that
they were discounted and discounted and siscounted before being sold
wholesale.

Timemachinewatch.com seems to have a fair inventory of Allenby and my
guess is that it moves pretty slowly these days. When the watches
first hit Ebay they really didn't take off until the price hit rock
bottom. Subsequently there was actually some bidding going on.
Jack Denver
2006-09-21 21:12:23 UTC
Yup, you have good taste. That's the one I bought for myself too - the best
of the lot in terms of styling.

But, what the photo doesn't show well, as you say, is that the watch is as
flat as a board. I suspect this has a lot to do with the cost of a curved
sapphire crystal, which is considerably more than a flat crystal. Artificial
sapphire is made in a "boule" which is shaped like a salami. For a flat
crystal, the boule is diamond sawed into slices (not unlike the wafers used
to make silicon chips) and polished. Making a curved crystal is
considerably more difficult.

Period rectangular watches similar to this one were almost always curved on
top, both in the bezel and in a domed crystal that rose above it, and for a
good visual reason - to follow the contour of your wrist.. Some were even
curved in the back and dial.

For some reason, flat round watches don't look as bad. If you curve a round
watch assymetrically from top to bottom (but not side to side) you end up
with something that looks like a Salvador Dali watch and the effect would
not be pleasing. Also, round watches tend to be shorter lug to lug than
rectangulars, so there is less flat area in the vertical dimension.
Post by John S.
http://www.timemachinewatch.com/allenby/tm9449cu.JPG
Moka Java
2006-09-22 00:39:22 UTC
Post by Jack Denver
Period rectangular watches similar to this one were almost always curved on
top, both in the bezel and in a domed crystal that rose above it, and for a
good visual reason - to follow the contour of your wrist.. Some were even
curved in the back and dial.
Some even had curved movements, Gruen and Movado came to mind.
Post by Jack Denver
For some reason, flat round watches don't look as bad.
But curved lugs can make them more comfortable on the wrist and eyes.

If you curve a round
Post by Jack Denver
watch assymetrically from top to bottom (but not side to side) you end up
with something that looks like a Salvador Dali watch and the effect would
not be pleasing.
So called "Dali" watches are very cool. Even the no name Chinese quartz
knock offs are very desirable.

Post by Jack Denver
rectangulars, so there is less flat area in the vertical dimension.
Are you talking about vintage or modern humongo? The longest of the
Gruens and Bulovas are in the 50 - 52mm range and most of them had some
sort of articulated lug that basically extended the watch and made the
thing wearable. The vast majority of vintage rectangular watches are
less than 40mm from lug tip to lug tip and less than 30mm wide.

Rectangular watches are relatively difficult to read. Dali watches are
damn near impossible to read precisely but they put you in the
neighborhood.

R "depends on the neighborhood" TF
Richard Sexton
2006-09-22 05:57:52 UTC
Post by Moka Java
Are you talking about vintage or modern humongo? The longest of the
Gruens and Bulovas are in the 50 - 52mm range and most of them had some
sort of articulated lug that basically extended the watch and made the
thing wearable. The vast majority of vintage rectangular watches are
less than 40mm from lug tip to lug tip and less than 30mm wide.
Both Bulova and Gruen made a 52mm "curvex". But, Gruen owns the
trademark on the word curvex and it had a curved movement, the Bulva
was neither officially a curvex and had a flat movement (9AP or
7AK - both were used, damn fine movement). The Gruens are
rare and expsneive, the Bulovas are more common. Parts for the
Gruens are, um, "an issue".

The Bulova "curvexes" are my favorite old watches. I still have a couple
of gold ones.

http://rs79.vrx.net/interests/watches/gallery/b/bulova/curvex/
1970 280SE, 72 280SE | Home pages: http://rs79.vrx.net
Jack Denver
2006-09-22 14:31:31 UTC
Post by Jack Denver
rectangulars, so there is less flat area in the vertical dimension.
Are you talking about vintage or modern humongo? The longest of the
Gruens and Bulovas are in the 50 - 52mm range and most of them had some
sort of articulated lug that basically extended the watch and made the
thing wearable. The vast majority of vintage rectangular watches are less
than 40mm from lug tip to lug tip and less than 30mm wide.
I'm comparing vintage to vintage - a vintage round is typically in the 30 to
35 mm range - if you take into account that the lugs attach above the
"belly" of the circle, the lug to lug distance is even less. So while
rounds are usually wider, rectangulars are also always longer - even the
smaller 30x40s are longer than most rounds. As you say, curved lugs help
also - they help to lend the illusion that the whole watch is curved. I
don't consider those modern things "wristwatches" - they are pocket watches
strapped to the wrist and look ridiculous unless you are 7 feet tall and
have humongo proportions.